South Africa: Amanda Echalaz
Soprano - born 1976
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World and Song Prize competitor
Amanda Echalaz was born in Durban, South Africa. She sang First Bridesmaid in WNO's 2001 production of Le nozze di Figaro and Flower Maiden Parsifal in 2003. She was an Associated Young Artist at WNO in 2003.
Amanda won the Great Elm Vocal Award in 2003 and came second in both the 2001 John Ireland Song Competition and the 2002 Rita Hunter Singing Competition. She was the recipient of the 2003 Bayreuth Bursary and was a finalist in the 2003 Kathleen Ferrier Singing Competition.
She also participated in the Royal Opera House Masterclass Series with Robert Tear, broadcast by the BBC, and in a master class with Dame Gwyneth Jones on Wagner. Engagements in 2005 included Fiordiligi Così fan tutte for English Touring Opera.
She enjoys reading and swimming.
Singer of the World with Orchestra Concert 2 repertoire
- Mozart: Temerari...Come scoglio, Così fan tutte
- Puccini: Sola, perduta, abbandonata, Manon Lescaut
- Barber: Do not utter a word, Vanessa
Rosenblatt Recital Song Prize Concert 1 repertoire
- Schubert: Heimliches Lieben, Songs Op 106 No 1
- Duparc: Le Manoir de Rosemonde
- Duparc: Soupir
- Rakhmaninov: A Prayer, 6 Songs Op 8 No 6
- Rakhmaninov: Dreams, Songs Op 38 No 5
- Frank Bridge: Love went a-riding