What you need to know about working with children at the BBC
This podcast discusses the main issues around working with children with two BBC experts.
This podcast discusses the main issues around working with children.
In it, two BBC experts offer their experience from a wide range of productions and projects. Margaret Burgin, a former BBC news journalist, is the training manager at the BBC Academy responsible for outreach to schools. Catherine McAllister is head of Safeguarding and Child Protection in the BBC Children’s department with special responsibility across the BBC for online issues to do with children.
If you're BBC staff and have completed the BBC Academy’s Working with Children course this podcast will act as a refresher and help you reinforce what you’ve learnt.
In the podcast, you’ll learn about:
- The difference between child protection and safeguarding
- The BBC’s Code of Conduct for working with children
- When you need DBS and PVG checks
- The requirement for licencing
- The use of chaperones on productions
- Risk assessments for working with children
- How to find help and advice in the BBC
- When you must refer up or inform a member of the Children Advisor Network
BBC Staff can access the Working with Children course and further training resources on the BBC Academy website.