Food Friday - Cauliflower, Leek & Chorizo Gratin
This week's Food Friday recipe comes from Janine Finch.
Cauliflower, Leek & Chorizo Gratin with a Parmesan Crumb Topping.
Depending on how big your dish is, this is based on serving 4 people in a 25cm gratin dish.
• 1 whole head of cauliflower including using some of the leaves. Florets broken apart and sliced downwards to the stalks.
• 1 leek sliced thinly
• 1/2 chorizo ring ( approximately 100g ) chopped into smaller cubes
• cheddar cheese grated, I used a mature British ( approximately 60-70g )
• A sprig of thyme, if the leaves are quite large, chop them finely. My herbs are from my garden so I didn't need to and just stripped off the leaves.
• 300g carton of double cream ( you may not need to use it all, don't cover the gratin mix with it )
• 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
• A few knobs of Unsalted butter
• salt and cracked black pepper to season
• 2 slices of bread ( a few days old ) I used wholemeal which gives more flavour
• 2 spring onions chopped roughly
• Salt and cracked black pepper to season
• 2-3 tbsp Parmesan ( Parmigiana reggiano ) grated some in the crumb mix and some for on top
• Preheat your oven to 180c fan.
• Blanch off your cauliflower until just starting to soften.
• In the meantime, in a blender/processor blitz together the ingredients for your topping.
• In your chosen dish place a layer of cauliflower at the bottom. Then layer up with your leeks, chorizo, garlic, cheese and thyme. Then finish with cauliflower again on top.
• Pour over your double cream and place your knobs of butter on top. Pop in the oven for 15 mins until things are starting to bubble and brown. Take out and put your crumb topping on. Grate some more parmesan on and place back in the oven for another 10 mins.
• When golden brown onto, serve with perhaps some crusty bread, a nice salad and a lovely red wine.