Dalston, London: German Hospital
Despite the entire staff being labelled a “nest of spies”, Dalston’s German Hospital managed to remain open during World War One.
The hospital had been established in 1845 to treat German immigrants. They made up London’s largest immigrant community.
All the medical staff and servants were Germans and whilst the hospital was set up to serve Germans and German speakers it also looked after the local English-speaking population in cases of emergency.
The outbreak of war had an enormous impact on London’s German population but despite forced repatriation, internment, fears over spies and local disapproval of the treatment of German prisoners of war, the hospital survived.
The German Hospital became part of the NHS in 1948 and closed in 1987. It has now been replaced by flats.
Location: Dalston, London E8 1DF
Image: Former German Hospital