Food Friday - Summer Tart
Summer Tart with Ben Jackson and Janine Finch
This recipe is ideal if you want to go for a Picnic this weekend or even to take round to a friends for some "Al fresco" dining. It is super easy to do and will cost you less to nothing.
It is also a very versatile recipe in the fact you could change the vegetables to something such as Peppers or courgettes. Or as Ben suggested, crumble some feta on top.
(One Block of 500g Puff Pastry will make 2 Tarts)
- Some Plain flour for sprinkling
- Half block of 5oog Puff Pastry
- One medium sized Red Onion sliced
- 2-3 large tomatoes sliced into wedges
- A Few thin slices of Aubergine
- 2 cloves of Garlic finely chopped
- A selection of fresh herbs, I used Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary
- Sea salt and Cracked Black pepper to season
- Drizzle of Chilli oil over the top if you wish or You could use Rapeseed or Olive oil
* Preheat Oven to 200-220c
* Roll out your Pastry on a floured surface with a Rolling pin to just under a Pound coin's thickness.
* Score slightly with a knife a couple of cm's in around the Edge of the Pastry to allow to puff up at the sides.
* Prick with a fork a good few times so that the Pastry won't rise to high.
* Place your Red onion slices on, then your Tomatoes, Season with salt and pepper and pop in the Oven for 10 minutes.
* After 10 minutes, place your Aubergine slices in between the slices of tomato, add your Garlic, herbs and drizzle your oil over and place back into the Oven for a further 10 minutes or when the tart is Golden brown with no "Soggy bottom"