Main content

Daventry Transmitter opens providing national radio coverage 27 July 1925

The Daventry Transmitter, which opened on 27 July 1925, was the world's first Long Wave transmitting station. The transmitter, known as 5XX, was positioned on Borough Hill near Daventry, Northamptonshire, to cover the maximum land area. It brought the total audience within listening distance to 94% of the population, and made the idea of a nationwide radio service a reality.

Release date:

Duration:

9 minutes

This clip is from