Burton Upon Trent, Staffordshire: Town Hall Turned into War Hospital
Burton Town Hall was used as an infirmary during World War One. The main hall was transformed from a meeting and function space into an area with beds and nursing stations for injured soldiers returning from the conflict.
The conversion of the Town Hall into a hospital was carried out by a local branch of the Red Cross. In charge, as commandant, was a Miss Mary Thompson who received an OBE for her work in 1918.
The site proved useful when the town was targeted by Zeppelin raids in January 1916. The people who had been in the Christchurch Mission rooms during the bombing where treated at the Town Hall.
Location: Town Hall, Burton-Upon-Trent, Staffordshire DE14 2EB
Image shows Burton Town Hall then and now
Historic photograph courtesy of Richard Stone from the Burton Civic Society
Presented by David Leese