Metamorphosis: The Science of Change
Film-maker David Malone explores the science behind metamorphosis, the amazing transformation of one creature into a totally different being. How does it happen and why?
Metamorphosis seems like the ultimate evolutionary magic trick, the amazing transformation of one creature into a totally different being: one life, two bodies.
From Ovid and Kafka to X-Men, tales of metamorphosis richly permeate human culture. The myth of transformation is so common that it seems almost preprogrammed into our imagination. But is the scientific fact of metamorphosis just as strange as fiction or... even stranger?
Film-maker David Malone explores the science behind metamorphosis. How does it happen and why? And might it even, in some way, happen to us?
Timings (where shown) are from the start of the programme in hours and minutes
Alien Nation Season
Metamorphosis is part of a special season of BBC Four programmes supersizing the insect world. Discover the other programmes in the season below…
- Planet Ant - The secret, underground world of the ant colony is revealed.
- Insect Worlds - Steve Backshall explores the world of insects and their close relatives.
- The Incredible Story of the Monarch Butterfly - Follow their 3,000 mile journey.
- Edwardian Insects on Film - Celebrating amateur naturalist & filmmaker Percy Smith.
- Insect Dissection - Uncovering ingenious body systems and finely tuned senses.
- Minuscule - A seamless combination of animation and real life.
- Can Eating Insects Save the World? - Stefan Gates investigates.
|Executive Producer||Marcus Herbert|
|Production Manager||Lisa Moultrie|
- Sun 17 Mar 2013 19:00