Hidden History: Danesfort
Danesfort House, with its impressive gate-lodge, stands on a site that has been occupied since Stone Age times, some 5,000 years ago. Indeed, in the 1860s, a hoard of polished axe-heads was discovered on this site (the so-called Malone Hoard) as well as several funeral urns, so this is a very ancient place.
Danesfort was designed in 1864 by the young Newry architect, William Barr, the man who designed the Albert Clock in Belfast.
It was built for the linen manufacturer, Samuel Barbour of Barbour Threads. Barbour’s linen business dominated the Lagan Valley. On his death in 1878, the house passed through a succession of owners including the Duffin family and the Electricity Board.
Today it houses the American Consulate. Éamon meets United States Consul, Miss Kamala Lakhdhir, to find out more about the history of this impressive house.