The Bag Quiz Giveaway Terms, Conditions & Privacy Notice
Paul Miller Bag Quiz Giveaway
This privacy notice describes how we collect and use personal information in accordance with data protection law.
The BBC will collect and process the personal information that you have provided to us about yourself by taking part in our giveaway. This personal information is your name and phone number. If you win we will collect postal address details for fulfilment of the prize.
We have a legitimate interest to process your personal information: to process your giveaway entry, to contact you to play and in the event that you are successful, to arrange prize fulfilment. As we are relying on our legitimate interests to process your personal information, we have considered the impact the processing has on you and concluded that it is minor and that your information is necessary for the giveaway.
The BBC will retain your information for a period of 6 months after the giveaway and will then be destroyed. The personal information of giveaway winners will be retained for a period of 2 years.
If you have any questions about how the BBC handles your personal information, or you wish to find out about your rights, please visit the BBC’s Privacy and Cookies Policy. You will also be able to find out more information about how the BBC processes your information and how you can contact the BBC’s Data Protection Officer.
If you raise a concern with the BBC about the way it has handled your personal information, you are entitled to lodge a concern with a supervisory authority. In the UK, the supervisory authority is the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Terms and Conditions
1. The giveaway is open to all residents of the UK, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, aged 18 or over except <?xml:namespace prefix = "st1" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />BBC or BBC Group employees, their close relatives and anyone connected with the giveaway. Proof of identity, age and eligibility may be required.
2. The giveaway will run once in each Paul Miller Show (Monday to Friday between 2230 and 2259, except when editorial requirements lead to a change in schedule or a change in programme content). These times may change so please listen carefully for any announcements.
3. During each show listeners will be invited to participate in the giveaway by calling their local radio station telephone number, as listed below;
BBC Radio Berkshire – 0808 100 5 100
BBC Radio Kent – 0800 756 1111
BBC Radio Oxford – 0808 100 9 100
BBC Radio Solent – 0808 100 3800
BBC Radio Surrey – 0800 587 1046
BBC Radio Sussex – 0800 232 1045
Calls are free from landlines and mobiles.
No other method of entry will be accepted. Only one entry is allowed per listener per programme.
4. During each show listeners will be advised to listen out for announcements regarding the opening and closing times of the giveaway. Once the phone lines are declared open for the giveaway, listeners will be invited to call the programme using the telephone numbers as detailed on air.
5. The production team will use a random generator to choose which phone line is the first answered. The first selected entrant will play ‘The Bag’, a six question quiz, on air against the presenter, following instructions given out on air. Should the first selected caller refuse to play ‘The Bag’ on-air the production team will use a random generator to choose the second phone line to be answered and a new entrant will be invited to participate.
6. For the selected entrant to win a prize they must play ‘The Bag’ on-air and against the presenter. The entrant’s final score after playing ‘The Bag’ is irrelevant. Once the selected entrant has played ‘The Bag’ on-air their details will be taken, off air, and the prize will be sent to them.
7. The prize will be a branded Paul Miller Show and local radio jute bag. Distribution of the prize will be limited to one per household. For the avoidance of doubt, the prize does not include any other costs or expenses.
8. The prize is stated as above. There is no cash alternative and the prize cannot be sold or transferred in any circumstances.
9. The BBC's decision as to entrants taking part and winners is final. Previous winners of this prize will not be permitted to win another prize the same. No correspondence relating to the giveaway will be entered into.
10. Entrants agree to take part in any post-giveaway publicity if required. The names of winners will be made public. Winners are not eligible to re-enter the giveaway in subsequent programmes.
11. This giveaway is conducted in line with the BBC's code of conduct for giveaways, which can be found on
12. The BBC reserves the right to: (i) amend these terms and conditions and vary the giveaway rules including but not limited to the programmes included, opening and closing times; (ii) disqualify any entrant who breaches the rules or has acted fraudulently in any way and; (iii) cancel the giveaway, at any stage, if in its opinion it is deemed necessary or if circumstances arise outside its control.
13. The BBC, their sub-contractors, subsidiaries and/or agencies cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any server, system, network or mobile operator or service provider or otherwise which may result in any registration not being properly logged or not recorded.
14. Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when calling to participate.
15. The giveaway is run by the BBC. The applicable law is that of England and Wales.