St Anne's Alderney
Church bells from St Anne's Alderney.
This week's Bells on Sunday comes from St. Anne's Alderney. The church of St Anne's, designed by George Gilbert Scott and consecrated in 1850, is often referred to as 'the Cathedral church of the Channel Islands'. The original peal of six bells was damaged when Alderney was under Germany occupation during the Second World War. They were recast in 1953, and have since been augmented by the addition of six trebles in 2013. Recently 12 members of the Ancient Society of College Youths rang just over twenty five thousand changes taking sixteen hours and seven minutes - the second longest time for a tower bell peal and the longest peal on twelve bells. We hear part of that peal, the method being Bristol Surprise Maximus.