Skin creams linked to fire deaths
Adrian Goldberg presents cutting-edge investigative journalism. This week, dozens of people who used skin creams have died since 2010 after accidentally setting themselves on fire.
Adrian Goldberg presents cutting edge investigative journalism. This week, we look at the dozens of cases of skin cream users who have died since 2010 by accidentally setting themselves on fire.
The creams contain paraffin and are used to treat conditions like eczema and psoriasis. But unless clothing and bedding are washed regularly, residue from the creams can build up, making fabrics highly flammable.
Hear from one woman whose husband died after setting himself on fire in hospital when he went for a cigarette. The medicines regulator the MHRA has asked manufacturers to include warnings on packaging.
Download the podcast at http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live.