Church bells from Sheffield Cathedral.
This week's Bells on Sunday comes from Sheffield Cathedral. Formerly the parish church of St. Peter, the tower had a ring of four bells as long ago as 1559. By 1745 it held eight, with the present ring of 12 being cast in 1970. Regarded as one of the finest products of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, the sound has been improved by the use of a wooden-shafted clapper in the 34 hundredweight tenor. The method we hear here is Yorkshire Surprise Maximus, by the Sheffield Cathedral Company of Ringers.