Upload your Ten Pieces activities
We hope your pupils have enjoyed getting creative after watching the Ten Pieces films and using the resources.
We would now like teachers and home educators to send us videos of pupils' creative responses to any of the pieces in the Ten Pieces repertoire so they can be showcased on the Ten Pieces website.
These responses can be in any art form, for example composition, dance/movement, digital art/animation or performance poetry. You may want to submit your performance from taking part in The Nutcracker Live Lesson. We are looking for responses from both primary and secondary school pupils. We currently can only accept video submissions but a photo uploader will open soon.
Guidance for uploading
Please read the full BBC terms and conditions.
Permission and consent:
In order to submit a video featuring children to the BBC you MUST have secured consent from the parent or legal guardian of EVERY child that features in your recording. Parents/legal guardians must consent to the child being filmed and consent to you sharing the content with the BBC, and if selected by the BBC, for selected performances to be featured on the Ten Pieces website, on TV and radio, on screens around the UK, in print media, at Ten Pieces concerts, promotional material and on the BBC's social media accounts until 31 July 2020.
For schools: You can download and print out this template letter to distribute to parents/guardians to help them understand what you would like to do. Please make sure you act within the policies and procedures of your own school. The BBC reserves the right to verify this consent at any time - you must be able to produce consent forms if needed. Parental consent can be withdrawn at any time.
We advise you to secure consent BEFORE filming so that you can be sure only children whose parents/legal guardians have consented are involved in the filmed performance.
If for any reason you would like a creative response removed (including if parental consent is removed), content can be taken down from the Ten Pieces website and social media by sending requests to email@example.com. Please be aware that content shared on social media may be more difficult to remove permanently.
Rules for submission:
- If you are submitting a creative response it must be an original response to one of the pieces from the Ten Pieces I, II or III repertoire and can be in any art form
- Your submission must not include any copyright material (e.g. commercially available music, stock stills or footage)
- If using music from one of Ten Pieces, you must use the recordings we have made available and NOT an alternative commercially available recording
- Content must be uploaded by adults (submissions from children will not be accepted)
- No names of children (either spoken or as text, for example in end credits)
- No advertising or product placement
- No nudity
- No swearing
Read the terms and conditions and rules for submission? Now you can upload your videos:
Tips for filming
Please note that we are not looking for professionally recorded films but are keen for you to capture the children's enthusiasm and creativity.
- You can record your film with the equipment you may already have in school such as a tablet or smartphone, compact stills camera or camcorder
- Film in landscape rather than portrait
- Use the recordings that we have provided for you to download if your performance is accompanied by one of the pieces of music
- Use a tripod to keep your camera steady if possible
- Use a separate microphone if your camera has a microphone socket
- Make sure you have a wide enough shot to include all children who are performing if you are using only one camera
- Make sure there is as much light as possible and that the recording environment is free of extraneous noise
- Watch this short clip in which Julia Bradbury shows you how to film your content
- Get tips on filming using a smartphone
Files you can upload
- Films and audio recordings will ideally be between 2 and 4 minutes long
- Maximum accepted file size: 500MB
- Accepted file types: mp4, mov, wmv
If you have any queries or problems with uploading, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org