Why Wiggo is our favourite man on two wheels
Olympic gold medallist, winner of the Tour de France, known sideburn enthusiast – and now Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs’ most recent castaway. Here’s why we dig Wig.
- After winning the Tour de France he was bemused to discover he couldn't just nip to the shops anymore and had to be looked after by an ex-SAS bodyguard.
- He asked Paul Weller whether or not he should accept his knighthood ‘when I bumped into him at our tailors.’
- He proposed to his wife just one week after they began courting.
- He demanded that his granddad removed the stabilisers from his bike when he was four and then immediately fell off.
- When standing on the podium after winning the Tour de France he said “and now we’re going to draw the raffle.”
- He’s unimpressed by the razzmatazz that accompanies celebrity. “You end up being hugged by people who weren’t with you on the journey while your family can’t get near you.”
- He didn't include any tracks from Paul Weller or The Jam for his Desert Island Discs as it was ‘too obvious’.