Primary Music KS1: Jack and the Beanstalk - Info
These web pages offer a collection of songs and related music activities linking to the traditional story of Jack and the Beanstalk. They target a range of learning objectives at Years 1 and 2 drawn from both Key Stage 1 Music and Literacy. They can also be used to stage your own story performance or concert of the songs.
Jack lives in a small village with his Ma. They are very poor and have nothing left to eat: if they don't think of something soon they'll starve. Jack takes their one remaining possession - Daisy the cow - to market to sell...but nobody is interested in buying her. On the way home Jack meets a mysterious man who offers him five 'magic' beans for Daisy. Jack trusts the man and takes the beans, but when he returns home his Ma is furious and throws the beans out of the window. The following morning a huge beanstalk has appeared in the garden and Jack begins to climb, higher and higher...
Using these web pages
The content for Jack and the Beanstalk is structured on the seven songs to learn. Each song appears on its own dedicated page and includes the following resources (with links to examples from Song 1: 'What shall we do?'):
- Song tutorial video
- Karaoke full vocal version of the song (for rehearsal)
- Karaoke backing track version of the song (for performance)
- A video of the story episode that links to the song (two episodes per page)
- A passage of listening music linking to the music focus of the song
- Lyrics to display or download
- Music to display or download
- A transcript of the story episode (two episodes per page)
- Notes describing the content of the tutorial and how best to use it
- A transcript of the tutorial video
- A link to download the video of the full vocal version of the song (mp4)
- A link to download the video of the backing track version of the song (mp4)
- A link to download audio of the vocal version of the song (mp3)
- A link to download the backing track version of the song (mp3s)
To download the videos you will need to right click on them and then select the appropriate option for PC or Mac.
Use the Tutorial video to begin learning each song: Sarah Jane Honeywell guides pupils through each song methodically, giving extra attention to any difficult passages or activities in groups.
Use the Story video to watch an episode of the story. Each episode links to the song on the same page and is about 5 minutes long. Use the Full vocal and Backing track versions of the songs to rehearse them in preparation for a performance.