Text To Donate Terms and Conditions
Thank you for choosing to donate to Comic Relief.
You can donate to Comic Relief by texting the below Keyword to the relevant number (the ‘Short Code’). Each text message you send will result in a donation to Comic Relief of the amount listed in the ‘Donation Value’ column. For example, by texting “YES” to 70210, you will donate £10. The following Keywords and Short Codes allow donations to Comic Relief, including any donations for Red Nose Day 2022:
|Keyword and Short Code||Donation Value||Live Date and Close Date|
|COMIC to 70205||£5||21/02/2019 - 30/06/2021|
|DONATE to 70205||£5||21/02/2019 - 30/06/2021|
|TOM to 70205||£5||11/02/2022 - 01/05/2023|
|TOM to 70210||£10||11/02/2022 - 01/05/2023|
|TOM to 70220||£20||11/02/2022 - 01/05/2023|
|TOM to 70230||£30||11/02/2022 - 01/05/2023|
|ROW to 70205||£5||20/02/2022-01/05/2023|
|ROW to 70210||£10||20/02/2022-01/05/2023|
|YES to 70205||£5||01/03/2019 - 01/05/2022|
|YES to 70210||£10||01/03/2019 - 01/05/2022|
|YES to 70220||£20||01/03/2019 - 01/05/2022|
|YES to 70230||£30||01/03/2019 - 01/05/2022|
|HELP to 70205||£5||10/04/2022 - 01/05/2023|
|HELP to 70210||£10||16/04/2020 - 01/05/2022|
|HELP to 70220||£20||16/04/2020 - 01/05/2022|
|HELP to 70230||£30||16/04/2020 - 01/05/2022|
|BILLY to 70205||£5||15/02/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|BILLY to 70210||£10||15/02/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|BILLY to 70220||£20||15/02/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|BILLY to 70230||£30||15/02/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|BANK to 70210||£10||15/02/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|BANK to 70220||£20||15/02/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|BANK to 70230||£30||15/02/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|NOSE to 70205||£5||18/02/2022-01/05/2023|
|NOSE to 70210||£10||18/02/2022-01/05/2023|
|NOSE to 70220||£20||18/02/2022-01/05/2023|
|NOSE to 70230||£30||18/02/2022-01/05/2023|
|LOL to 70205||£5||22/02/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|FIVE to 70702||£5||08/03/2022 - 01/05/2023|
|TEN to 70702||£10||08/03/2022 - 01/05/2023|
|TWENTY to 70702||£20||08/03/2022 - 01/05/2023|
|THIRTY to 70702||£30||08/03/2022 - 01/05/2023|
|FORTY to 70702||£40||08/03/2022 - 01/05/2023|
|GIVE to 70205||£5||12/03/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|GIVE to 70210||£10||12/03/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|GIVE to 70220||£20||12/03/2021 - 01/05/2022|
|GIVE to 70230||£30||12/03/2021 - 01/05/2022|
Privacy Notice for Text to Donate
Terms and Conditions
- As well as the relevant Donation Value, each text message will incur your standard network message charge (based on your service provider rates). This service can only be used from a UK mobile and does not include Channel Islands or Isle of Man mobile networks. If you donate using this service from a UK mobile abroad you may incur additional network charges.
- Where calls to donate are associated with challenges, your donations are independent of the success or failure of the challenge.
- The following mobile network operators have waived their charges in order to allow the full Donation Value of the reply confirmation text message (described below) to go entirely to support Comic Relief: 3, O2, EE, Sky, Virgin and Vodafone. In addition, HMRC has confirmed that no VAT should be charged on these donations.
- You can send a text message between 10:00 on the date the Keyword and Short Code combination go ‘Live’, as listed in the above table, and 23.59 on the Closing Date, as listed in the above table. Please ensure you spell the Keyword correctly and send your text message to the correct Short Code, however, if we, acting reasonably believe you are trying to donate, we will still take the donation even if you entered the Keyword incorrectly. Alternatively, we may instead send you a message to let you know that your donation has failed. The message we send to you in this instance is not a confirmation message so, whilst you will be charged your standard network message charge, you will not be charged the Donation Value and will not be donating to Comic Relief. You will not have been added to any marketing databases if we send you this follow up text unless you have expressly requested to be.
- If your Keyword and Short Code are valid and your text message is received within the specified times and dates, you will be charged the applicable Donation Value via reply confirmation text message(s) and your donation will go to Comic Relief (with the exception of Vodafone customers, who will be charged the Donation Value directly via their bill). It may take some time for you to receive the confirmation text message. Please wait until you receive it. Unless a cap applies (see below) each valid text you send will result in a charge of the Donation Value plus your standard network message charge, regardless of when you receive your confirmation text message. Any repeat texts will result in repeat donations.
- If you are a UK taxpayer, we can claim an additional 25p in Gift Aid from the Government for every £1 you donate. We’ll send you a follow up text to ask if you want to claim Gift Aid on your donation. If you follow the link in our follow up text, you’ll be taken to our website to complete the Gift Aid declaration – please read it carefully. For us to claim Gift Aid, you must pay UK income or capital gains tax this year (this does not include VAT or council tax) at least equal to the amount reclaimed on all your charitable donations. Find out more about Gift Aid here. We may include a link in the text message, and if you follow the link you will be taken to a website to complete the Gift Aid declaration. Please read the details carefully before submission. You will not automatically be added to any marketing databases if we send you this follow up text.
- If your Keyword or Short Code is invalid, or if your message is received outside the times and dates of the service, you may not receive a confirmation text message but may still be charged your standard network message charge. If no confirmation text message is received, you will not be charged the Donation Value as you will not be donating to Comic Relief. However, if you receive the confirmation text message then you may still be charged the Donation Value, in which case your donation will still be made to Comic Relief.
- There is a daily limit (12.00 am to 11:59 pm) of £40 on text donations to each short code with the same keyword for the same donation amount from the same mobile number, up to a maximum donation amount of £240 per month per mobile number. If you try to donate more than that in a day using the same Keyword and Short Code from the same mobile, you will still be charged your standard network rate, but will not be charged the Donation Value for a confirmation text message and will not be donating to Comic Relief. For the avoidance of doubt this maximum is placed on the text messages sent with the same Keyword to the same Short Code. Also note that pre-paid customers who are trying to donate £20 or £30 but have insufficient credit, may only be charged £10 or £20 (as applicable).
- If you would like to contribute a different amount to Comic Relief, you can donate online. Any donations to Comic Relief, including donations via text, are non-refundable, other than in specific circumstances.
- All supporters must obtain permission from the bill payer before sending a text message. If you are under 16 years old, you must have your parent or guardian’s permission to send a text donation to us.
- Comic Relief, BBC and their sub-contractors, subsidiaries and/or agencies cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any telephone network or line, system, server, provider or otherwise which may result in any text being lost or not properly received.
- Red Nose Day is an initiative of Comic Relief. All donations received, including any towards this initiative, will go towards Comic Relief, which is the operating name of Charity Projects, a registered charity, number 326568 (England and Wales) SC039730 (Scotland).
- To find out more about the charity Comic Relief, or its initiative Red Nose Day, or if you have questions about this service, please go to www.comicrelief.com or leave a voicemail for Comic Relief on 020 7820 2000 (Monday to Friday 9:00 – 17:00) and someone will get back to you. Standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles will apply and calls may be included in your telecom provider’s call package.
- The text service is provided by Fonix Mobile PLC. If you have any queries regarding the service, please contact Fonix at the following email address: email@example.com or write to Fonix Mobile Limited, 23 Heddon Street, London, W1B 4BQ or call on the following Helpline Number: 0208 114 7001 (Monday to Friday 9:00 - 17:30).
- Comic Relief reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time. Any updates will be posted on this website so please check back regularly. The governing law is that of England and Wales.