Vegans rejoice! You can now have a fully-loaded Scottish breakfast with this amazing vegan square sausage recipe
7 November 2018
The square sausage – a Scottish institution.
Most breakfasts and evening wedding buffets in Scotland contain the square (also known as ‘lorne’) sausage.
It’s a pork & beef mixture, minced and mixed with spices and rusk.
But its meaty nature means that vegans have been unable to embrace the tradition ...until now!
As part of The Social’s series sharing recipes for vegan versions of Scotland’s finest(?) culinary inventions, AJ Greenway started his blender up and got to work.
Why would you have a big thing that is long and roly poly? Square sausage fits on the bread!Janey Godley
- Drain 240g of kidney beans.
- Chop 2 garlic cloves.
- Add 30g nutritional yeast.
- Add 100ml of vegetable stock.
- Add 2 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegan worcester sauce.
- Blend again.
- Add 1 tablespoon of onion powder.
- Add 1 tablespoon of tumeric.
- Add 1 tablespoon of paprika.
- Add 3 tablespoons of black pepper.
- Blend once more.
- Add 100g of breadcrumbs.
- Blend one last time.
- Shape the mixture into a ball.
- Roll out and cut into square shapes.
- Add some rapeseed oil to a pan.
- Fry both sides for 2 minutes on a medium heat.
The roll stage
- Place in a roll.
- Add lashings of brown or tomato sauce.
More vegan recipies
Brown or tomato sauce?
The age-old debate that has split Scottish families down the middle for generations.