Good Friday with The Decemberists
Spend Good Friday in the company of Colin Meloy, erudite leader of the Grammy-nominated indie folk rock outfit, The Decemberists.
To celebrate his DJ debut on BBC 6 Music we asked Colin to create an Easter-themed programme.
And if that wasn’t enough folky goodness for you, Colin’s programme will be followed by three hours of BBC archive live music and old BBC documentaries, hand-picked by the man himself including:
- Live session - The Decemberists for Mary Anne Hobbs
- Archive session - A 1973 recording of the Kinks at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in London
- Archive session - The Smiths first sesion for John Peel and an XTC session from 1979
- Documentary - The Life and Music of Shirley Collins
- Documentary - The Smiths at the Beeb
This really is a Good Friday to be spent by the radio, curled up on the sofa at home....
Listen to Mark Radcliffe introduce Colin Meloy for Easter Folk
The Decemberists are a Grammy-nominated indie folk rock outfit from the micro-brewery capital of the world, Porland, Oregon. They have released seven albums of real beauty, including 2015’s ‘What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World’.
If you're unfamiliar with The Decemberists' music but Colin Meloy's name still sounds familiar chances are you know him in his other guise - author of the best-selling fantasy series 'The Wildwood Chronicles'. His music is as good as his books - so why not take a listen as you read?