28/11/2018 The importance of food businesses giving clear and accurate allergy information has been highlighted by tragic cases like that of Shahida Shahid, who died after eating a burger that had been marinated in buttermilk- despite telling her waiter that she had a severe dairy allergy. By law, businesses must inform customers if their products contain any of the 14 statutory allergens.Watchdog went undercover in November 2018 to test the allergy information provided by staff at randomly-selected branches of leading food businesses Pizza Express, Pizza Hut, Nando’s, Frankie & Benny’s, Starbucks and Costa. At five of thirty venues visited - one branch each of Pizza Hut, Nando’s, Frankie & Benny’s, Starbucks and Costa- staff gave information that was unclear or incorrect. Tony Lewis, Head of Policy at the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health, said "Five is a significant number and if you scale it up nationally, it becomes a very, very large number indeed. And that’s worrying”. We also heard from a viewer who said that she was asked to sign what she saw as a “waiver” before being given allergy information at chain restaurant Coast to Coast.