Last updated at 11:45
image

Meet the animals rescued after getting stuck in the strangest places

After a cat was rescued from inside a wall by the RSPCA, we look at other strange animal rescues.
Cats normally need rescuing from trees, not walls. But this tabby was trapped in a six-inch gap in a house in Essex. Nobody knows how he managed to squeeze into such a small space but RSPCA officers had to demolish the wall to free the little fellow. He was checked over by the vets but hasn’t used any of his nine lives and has now been reunited with his owner. They must be ‘feline’ very relieved!
Cat rescued from wallRSPCA
A cat discovered a ferret stuck in a pipe in Bishop Auckland, England. The cat’s owner said it started ‘going crackers’ when it saw the ferret, whose head was poking out of the top of the pipe. Fire fighters came to the rescue and freed the ferret, which has been called Lucky by the RSPCA.
Ferret in pipeRSPCA
RSPCA Inspector Kaye Smith said the female ferret was in good health despite being stuck in the wastepipe. She said ‘Amazingly, she is perfectly healthy and has no injuries.'
The ferretRSPCA
It's an unusual call for the fire brigade to receive - a rat stuck in a manhole! But that's what happened when this chubby rodent got wedged on its way out of the sewers in the German town of Bensheim. Firefighters lifted the manhole cover while an animal rescuer freed the lucky rat. He was then returned to his home in the sewers.
A rat looks directly at the camera with half its body emerging from a ventilation hole - and its belly spilling over the sides around the middleBerufstierrettung Rhein Neckar
This Mountain lion has been rescued by firefighters after getting stuck up a tree in California in America. The big cat was spotted perched on a branch 50 feet up in the air. The fire crews had to give it some medicine to make it sleepy, and then safely lower it down with a harness, before releasing it back into the wild.
The mountain lion was rescued by firefighters using a ladderCalifornia Department of Fish and Wildlife
Meet Qabid. He escaped injury after becoming stuck in a tyre at Edinburgh Zoo for about two hours. Firefighters managed to free the two-year-old greater one-horned rhino. A spokesperson at the zoo said: "Qabid loves to play with his tyre. It's one of his favourite things to do. But he managed to get his head and a leg stuck while playing". Don't worry - he's now doing fine!
Qabid the rhinoRZSS/Siân Addison
SA Power Networks came across a koala in a rather sticky situation. The company tweeted: "It wasn’t a great start to the day for this curious 🐨 who got his head stuck in a fence at our Happy Valley substation. A big thank you to Fauna Rescue SA and our St Mary's crew who released the koala and took him into care for a check-up before his release back into the wild." We're glad he was OK!
Koala with his head stuckTwitter/@SAPowerNetworks
When one Twitter user heard a big crash in her bedroom, she went in to investigate where the noise had come from. We bet the last thing she was expecting to find was her pooch with a coffee table stuck on its head! Oh dear...
Dog with table stuck on his headTwitter/@mpbbbee
Firefighters were kept busy when this cheeky puppy got his head firmly stuck in a tumble dryer vent hole. It is thought the 12-week-old terrier could see the garden through the hole, and was trying to get outside to play.
Puppy with head stuck in ventCambs Fire Service
They had to cut away some of the wall in order to rescue Dennis, but as you can see he was rescued safe and sound! Best leave the humans to deal with the tumble dryer next time eh, Dennis?!
Puppy with fire fightersCambs Fire Service
A Coonhound pup called Blaze also got in a pickle when he decided to check out the middle of a truck wheel. His owner had just left him playing in the yard for a couple of hours, but came back to find him completely stuck.
Blaze the dog with head stuck in wheelButte Silver Bow Fire Department
His owner and a vet both failed to get his head loose, so they also had to call in the local fire department to help them out. The emergency services said that they just needed a lot of coconut oil and patience - and some careful ear-tucking and manoeuvring! - but they finally got him out.
Blaze with the Butte Silver Bow Fire DepartmentButte Silver Bow Fire Department
Prickles and nets aren't a good combination! This poor hedgehog ended up needing help from the RSPCA after it got tangled in a badminton net. The charity snipped the strings to set it free.
Hedgehog stuck in badminton netRSPCA
Meanwhile in Sri Lanka, this baby elephant got itself in a bit of a situation when the poor Nelly fell down a drain and couldn't get out! Rescuers had to break open the drain so that they could pull it back to safety. Vets checked it over as well to make sure it hadn't hurt its leg.
Elephant stuck in drainReuters
For many people, taking a bath is supposed to be a relaxing experience - but not for this dog called Emma. She was really unlucky when taking a wash as she got her paw stuck in the plughole. It was stuck so tight that they had to pull the whole plug out so that they could release her.
Dog with plug stuck on her footRSPCA
Over in Connecticut in the US, this deer got a bit stuck. I mean, ice is slippery enough with shoes on, but imagine trying to skate on dainty little hooves! This deer ended up flat on its tummy on a frozen river in Connecticut. Rescuers pulled it back to safety.
A deer trapped on the iceNBC
Finally, it would seem this cocker spaniel called Lexi has got a bit in common with Blaze... She got her head stuck through a hole in the wall. It wasn't as easy to set her free as Blaze though. Rescuers had to use a hammer and chisel to crack the wall. She was absolutely fine and hopefully knows to be careful about where she sticks her head in future!
Cocker spaniel with head stuck in wallHampshire Fire and Rescue Service