St Paul's puts legal action against protesters on hold

Last updated at 16:47
To enjoy the CBBC Newsround website at its best you will need to have JavaScript turned on.
Watch Joe's report for all the latest on what's happening.

St Paul's Cathedral has said it won't force protesters who have been camped outside for two weeks to leave.

The cathedral had previously said it would take the demonstrators to court to force them to go.

But now bosses at London cathedral say they want to talk with the protesters about the situation without threatening them with legal action.

The local council have also said they won't force the group to go after the church changed their mind.

Officials were due to give the protesters 48 hours to clear the London churchyard, or face being taken to court.

The cathedral said they had made the decision after a meeting with protesters and the Bishop of London, Dr Richard Chartres, on Tuesday morning.

The protesters are taking action as they're angry about the way banks make and spend money.

On Monday, the Rt Rev Graeme Knowles quit as one of the cathedral's bosses because the church had been criticised over the way it's handled the dispute.

During the protests, St Paul's had to close its doors for a week for the first time since World War II.

St Paul's has nothing to do with the demonstrations but it's near London's Stock Exchange, where banks and money organisations are based.

So protesters have camped outside to show they want banks and governments to change they way they use money.