News this week: The transgender military ban in the US
US President Donald Trump has surprised Americans with his administration's decision to ban transgender people from serving in the military.
The White House says it is still figuring out how to implement the ban following the president's Twitter announcement on Wednesday.
It remains unclear how this will affect current transgender service personnel, whose numbers range anywhere from around 4,000 to over 10,000.
- Confusion over Trump's transgender ban
- Trump bans transgender people in military
- Why does the US military buy so much Viagra?
For over a year, transgender service members had been allowed to serve openly following a policy change under former US president Barack Obama.
Transgender military personnel reacted with shock, with one telling the BBC: "It was heartbreaking, my stomach dropped".
Israel relents on holy site security measures
Israel has removed new security measures at a key holy site in East Jerusalem after they sparked outrage.
The last remnants were removed on Thursday at the Old City complex known to Muslims as Haram al-Sharif and to Jews as the Temple Mount.
Israel closed the site after two Israeli police officers were killed. Palestinians fiercely objected to the measures and had refrained from entering the complex.
Israeli security forces and demonstrators had clashed regularly after the metal detectors were introduced to the site on 14 July.
Other news this week
- China detains 'female Jesus cult' members
- Oscar hopefuls line-up for Toronto
- Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death
- Justin Bieber's car hits photographer
- Risk philosopher drowns in rescue attempt
- Time, not materials, 'raises happiness'
- Canada refugee's joy as lost son is saved
- France plans asylum 'hotspots' in Libya
- Petronas cancels Canadian LNG project
Stories you may have missed
- How Bite is building an all-natural lipstick business
- One man's campaign for the right to die
- The extraordinary life of a 91-year-old beauty queen
- Oxygen masks for animals in fires
- Brain disease 'hits 99% of NFL players'
- How a winemaker is taking on Sicily's rural Mafia
- Top teacher stands up for indigenous people
- Russian cat feeds orphaned baby hedgehogs