US woman burned by Starbucks coffee awarded $100,000
A US woman has been awarded more than $100,000 (£77,000) after being severely scalded by a cup of Starbucks coffee.
Joanne Mogavero, from Florida, suffered first and second degree burns when the lid popped off a cup of coffee at a Starbucks in 2014, a jury was told.
Her lawyers had argued that Starbucks should warn its customers that lids could pop off.
The jury awarded Ms Mogavero $85,000 for pain and suffering and more than $15,000 to cover medical bills.
Starbucks says it is considering an appeal.
The incident happened at a drive-through outlet in Jacksonville as she took the hot drink from an employee and prepared to pass it to her passenger.
Her lawyer, Steve Earle, said: "My client didn't want sympathy from the jury - she wanted justice - and the jury gave it to her with its verdict."
In a statement, Ms Mogavero's legal team said a Starbucks representative had testified during the court hearing in Duval County, Florida, that the company gets 80 complaints a month about problems with lids popping off or leaking.
A Starbucks spokesperson told the BBC: "As we said in trial, we stand behind our store partners in this case and maintain that they did nothing wrong."