Hundreds ill in India after eating adulterated flour
Nearly 400 people have been admitted to hospitals in north India after eating adulterated flour, police say.
All the patients had consumed snacks made from buckwheat flour. A mill in the northern state of Rajasthan has been traced as the source, police said.
The patients complained of vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach ache.
Cases of food poisoning have been reported from the capital, Delhi, and towns of Meerut, Ghaziabad and Bulandshar in Uttar Pradesh state.
At least 115 people had been taken to various hospitals in east and north-east Delhi, police said.
They said they have detained a number of people for questioning.
Buckwheat flour is widely consumed in northern India during Navratri celebrations [festival of nine nights] when a large number of devout Hindus shun grains like wheat and rice.