Jersey fire death: Clutter 'hampered' firefighters

Firefighters were hampered by clutter as they attempted to save an 86-year-old man from a fire, an inquest has heard.

Harry Crossley, 86, died of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by inhaling smoke from the fire at Victoria Cottage Homes, in Jersey, on 14 May.

The inquest heard the fire was started by a faulty flex cable in a lamp in his lounge.

It was told the fire service was held up by the amount of clutter.

Mr Crossley's death was the first fire-related death in the island for five years.

Dominique Caunce, the Housing Department's director of policy and communications, said hoarding was a problem with some residents that they were trying to tackle.

Ms Caunce said the independent living team had visited Mr Crossley on a monthly basis.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites