Woman rescued from fire in St Helier flat

A woman had to be rescued by firefighters after the bedding she was asleep on caught fire.

The Jersey Fire and Rescue service was called when a neighbour in the St Helier flats heard a fire alarm just after 0700 GMT on Sunday.

Crew manager Craig Channing said it is thought the fire was started by a discarded cigarette.

Firefighters found a woman asleep in a smoke-filled lounge, and the bedding she was lying on was alight.

The fire spread to the carpet and settee.

The woman was treated by paramedics and taken to hospital for observation.

Mr Channing praised the quick action of the neighbour.

He said it "most definitely prevented a more serious fire taking hold, which in this case could have proven fatal."

"I cannot stress enough how important it is to make sure your smoke alarms work, a test once a week is recommended," he said.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites