Isle Of Man / Ellan Vannin

Pizza tray cleaning prompts Isle of Man chemical spill alert

Firemen in protective suits Image copyright Isle of Man Fire and Rescue
Image caption Castletown residents were told to stay indoors and keep windows closed

Hazardous fumes from pizza trays that were being cleaned led to an evacuation following reports of a chemical spill.

Firefighters were called to a "small" spill in Victoria Road, Castletown in the Isle of Man at about 11:00 BST.

Homes were evacuated as a precaution and other residents were advised to keep windows closed.

The fire service said the pizza trays were being cleaned with a chemical agent in a van, causing "potentially reactive fumes" to be released.

Image copyright Isle of Man Fire and Rescue
Image caption Victoria Road was closed after "potentially reactive fumes" were released into the environment

The van had been parked behind a petrol station in the town.

Fire crews spent about an hour-and-a-half at the scene which led to the temporary closure of Victoria Road.

A cordon was put in place while the area was decontaminated.

The cordon has since been lifted and the road reopened.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites