Isle Of Man / Ellan Vannin

Stove's log basket causes fire in the Isle of Man

A fire which began in a log basket kept too close to a wood-burning stove caused extensive damage to a house, the Isle of Man fire service said.

The fire broke out at 1645 BST on Saturday in the lounge of a man's house in Sulby.

The man managed to escape unharmed, but his house was damaged throughout by fire and smoke.

An investigation found that a wicker log basket had ignited through the heat of the neighbouring stove.

It took four firefighters using breathing apparatus almost two hours to bring the blaze under control and to carry out their investigation.

A Manx fire service spokesman said: "It is extremely important not to store any items too close to wood-burners as they reach extremely high temperatures which can cause pyrolysis of the items in close proximity.

"It is imperative that at least one smoke detector is fitted in a property to give early warning in the event of a fire breaking out."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites