Guernsey

Fire alarms urged in rented Sark homes

Jardin Louise in Sark
Image caption John Marquand died of smoke inhalation at the rented house

All rented accommodation in Sark will have to be fitted with smoke detectors if a new law is adopted.

The move has been recommended by Seneschal Lt Col Reg Guille to the island's government, the Chief Pleas.

It follows the death of a man in a fire at a rented house at Jardin Louise on 1 August.

It is thought a discarded cigarette caused the death of 30-year-old John Marquand, who had been working in the island as a labourer.

Sark law stipulates that all hotels, guest houses and self-catering accommodation must have smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors fitted.

However that law does not extend to rented properties.

Lt Col Guille, who presided over the inquest into Mr Marquand's death, said the island should look into extending the law to include such accommodation.

He also suggested landlords should start fitting detectors in their properties now, rather than wait for any new laws to be put in place.

He urged private householders to fit them too rather than become "another death statistic".

Lt Col Guille found that Mr Marquand died of smoke inhalation.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites