Guernsey

Couple 'owe lives' to smoke alarm, says fire service

A couple owe their lives to the fact they had a smoke alarm fitted in their flat, Guernsey Fire and Rescue Service has said.

A lit candle caused a television to set on fire in the early hours at a property in Vauvert, in St Peter Port.

The alarm woke the occupants and they called the fire brigade.

Andy Mauger, duty fire officer, said it highlighted the need for every home to be fitted with an alarm.

The couple were treated at hospital for the effects of smoke inhalation.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites