Bundoran crash: Two killed and three injured

Image source, RTE

A man and a woman have died and three others have been injured after the car they were travelling in hit a wall.

It happened at Eastend, Bundoran, County Donegal at about 03:25 BST on Sunday.

A man in his 20s has been arrested after presenting himself to the Gardaí (Irish police).

He has been released without charge. A file will be prepared for the Republic of Ireland's Director of Public Prosecutions.

Gardaí said the man and woman who died, both aged in their 20s, were passengers in the car.

The local coroner has been notified and post-mortems will be carried out on the two deceased at Sligo University Hospital on Monday.

Three others are being treated in hospital.

Two men, also aged in their 20s, have serious injuries and are in hospital in Sligo.

A woman in her 20s has been transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin where she is in a critical condition.

Prayers were said in Mass in Belleek earlier for the woman killed in the crash. It is believed she lived in the area but was originally from Donegal.

Image source, RTE

Local man Frankie O'Gorman said there is a history of serious crashes in the area and that driving conditions were difficult at the time of the crash due to heavy rainfall.

Speaking to RTÉ, Mr O'Gorman said: "It was always a very dangerous corner - years ago there were lots of accidents on that corner. When the [pub] was knocked down, I thought the road would have been widened, but it didn't happen unfortunately."


Ballyshannon Fine Gael councillor Barry O'Neill said the Bundoran community has been "numbed with shock".

"It is a very, very sad morning in south Donegal," he said.

"For the families grieving this morning, my heart and the hearts of many people locally goes out to those families today.

"Obviously these incidents can happen, but when it happens in a small area like Bundoran, a seaside town, but a small community, it makes it more tragic."

He paid tribute to the emergency services who attended the scene.

Gardaí have appealed for anyone with information to come forward.