Europe

Paris attacks: Girls quizzed over 'Bataclan-style plot'

Flowers outside the Bataclan concert hall in Paris. 29 Nov 2015 Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Ninety people were killed in the attack on the Bataclan concert hall

French authorities have opened a criminal investigation into two teenage girls suspected of planning an attack similar to the one on the Bataclan concert hall in Paris in November.

The girls, aged 15 and 17, had been exchanging messages on Facebook about the planned assault, police said.

Both girls appeared before an anti-terrorism judge on Friday.

Prosecutors said the alleged plan had been at an early stage and that neither weapons nor explosives had been found.

France remains on high alert following the Paris attacks in which 130 people died, including 90 at the Bataclan.

The Paris prosecutor's office said the 15-year-old would remain in custody while the 17-year-old would be released under judicial supervision.

The girls, who have not been named, were arrested on Wednesday by counter-terrorism agents.

They are suspected of criminal conspiracy in connection with a terrorist undertaking, prosecutors said.

Two other girls have been questioned by police and released.

Three gunmen wearing suicide vests stormed the Bataclan concert hall on 13 November 2015 during a rock concert. All three were later killed by security forces.

Other gunmen attacked cafes, restaurants and the Stade de France stadium.

France remains under a state of emergency following the attacks.