Europe

Paris attacks: Germany 'hunts suspect linked to Abaaoud'

Armed German police outside cancelled Germany-Netherlands football match in Hanover. 17 November 2015 Image copyright Reuters
Image caption A terror alert last month led to an international football match in Hannover being cancelled

German security services are searching for a man wanted in connection with last month's terror attacks in Paris, German media reports say.

The 42-year-old-man - named only as Huseyin D - is believed to have been spent time with Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the alleged organiser of the attacks.

He is reportedly from Dinslaken, north-west Germany, and was part of a group which had travelled to Syria.

The Paris attacks killed 130 people and prompted a Europe-wide security alert.

German newspaper Der Spiegel - which carries a photo alleged to be of Huseyin D with Abdelhamid Abaaoud - says the suspect is believed to be in Turkey.

Abaaoud was killed in a gun battle with Paris police days after the attacks, which were claimed by Islamic State (IS).

In another development, German prosecutors said they raided the flat of a man suspected of possibly helping plan an attack on last month's Germany-Netherlands football match.

The Hannover stadium was evacuated just under two hours before kick-off after a "concrete security threat", police said at the time.

German police gave no details of Thursday's raid and no arrests were made.

However, Der Spiegel said (in German) that the suspect is a 19-year-old student believed to have made a short video at the stadium in which he says "pray for Raqqa" and the Islamic State group's name.

Two men linked to the Paris attacks - Salah Abdeslam and Mohammed Abrini - are still on the run and investigations have been launched in several European countries.

Belgian prosecutors are also seeking two other men thought to have helped Abdeslam travel to Hungary in September.