Declan O'Reilly and Gerard Eglington shot dead in separate attacks

Two men have been shot and killed in front of their children in separate shootings in the Republic of Ireland within 24 hours.

In Dublin, a 32-year-old man was shot a least four times as he walked with his young son along the South Circular Road at about 20:00 BST on Monday.

Declan O'Reilly was pronounced dead on arrival in hospital.

In Portarlington, County Laois, Gerard Eglington was shot in front of his two children at about 08:30 BST on Monday.

The shooting took place in the Kilnacourt Woods estate and the victim, who was in his 20s, was pronounced dead at Tullamore General Hospital.

Irish Justice Minister Alan Shatter described the killings as barbaric and said those responsible "lack even a shred of humanity or decency".

"I know from my discussions with the Garda commissioner that the gardai will continue to target and bear down heavily on the activities of those involved in gangland crime," Mr Shatter said.

"That is clear from the series of recent operations they have launched against gangs and the many drug seizures that have taken place in recent weeks."

Both Monday's victims were from Dublin and had served time in prison.

Mr O'Reilly had survived a previous attempt on his life last year, when he was shot at least three times in the chest and arm near a school in south Dubin.

The year before, he had gone on trial for stabbing a fellow inmate to death in Mountjoy Prison.

He was found not guilty of the murder or manslaughter of convicted killer Derek Glennon, who died on 25 June 2007.

Eglington was jailed for his role in a high speed car crash in which two Irish police officers were killed.

Garda Tony Tighe and Garda Michael Padden died when their patrol car was hit by a stolen sports car on 14 April, 2002, as they tried to stop the vehicle on the Stillorgan dual carriageway.

Eglinton, who was 16 at the time, was a passenger in the stolen car which was travelling at up to 100 mph before the crash.

More on this story