Man charged with manslaughter of journalist Eugene Moloney
A 21-year-old man has been charged with killing journalist Eugene Moloney.
Mr Moloney, a former reporter with the Irish Independent and previously the Irish News, lived at Portobello Place in Dublin and was going home in the early hours of Sunday.
The 55-year-old suffered a blow to the head on Camden Street.
He received medical attention at the scene and was then brought to St James's Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Gary Burch, of Kennington Close, Templeogue, Dublin, had been detained by gardaí for questioning on Monday morning.
He was brought before Dublin District Court charged with the manslaughter of Mr Moloney at Camden Street, on 24 June.
Garda Sergeant Sean McAvinchey told Judge Victor Blake that Mr Burch was charged at 12.49pm.
He said he was present when the charge was read over to Mr Burch and that ''Gary Burch made no reply".
He then asked the judge to remand Mr Burch in custody to appear again next Monday.
Mr Burch, who was represented by Michael Bowman BL, did not address the court during the brief hearing and has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charge.
No application for bail or legal aid was made.
Mr Moloney, who was originally from Donegal, had previously worked with the Irish News in Belfast in the 1970s.
He later relocated to Dublin where he worked for Independent newspapers for more than 20 years.
In 1987, he began reporting for the Evening Herald.
He later moved to the Irish Independent and worked out of the paper's head office in Dublin, but had also reported extensively from Northern Ireland at the height of the Troubles.
A second man arrested during the investigation into the journalist's death was released without charge from garda custody on Monday night.