Sweden profile - Media
Sweden is a major force in Scandinavian media and is home to regional media giants Bonnier and Modern Times Group (MTG).
TV remains the most popular medium, with radio and online media at its heels.
Public Sveriges Television's (SVT) main competitor is privately-owned TV4. Most households have multichannel TV.
Public Sveriges Radio runs national and regional networks. Some privately-owned radio networks have national coverage.
The government subsidises newspapers regardless of their political stance. Papers tend not to have formal links to a political party. Instead, they are described in terms such as "independent liberal" or "independent conservative".
Swedes have traditionally been avid newspaper readers, but the press is under pressure from digital rivals.
Sweden rates highly for media freedom. It occupied number three position in the Reporters Without Borders 2019 World Press Freedom Index, behind Norway and Finland.
By June 2019, around 9.7 million Swedes were online - 96.4% of the population (InternetWorldStats).
Facebook is by far the most popular social media platform.
- Aftonbladet - Stockholm-based daily
- Dagens Nyheter - Stockholm-based daily
- Expressen - Stockholm-based daily
- Svenska Dagbladet - Stockholm-based daily
- Goteborgs Posten - Gothenburg-based daily
- Sydsvenskan - Malmo-based daily
- The Local - English-language online news
- Sveriges Radio - public
- Rix FM - commercial, music
- NRJ - commercial, music
- Mix Megapol - commercial, music
- TT - owned by several media groups