Australia

Two arrested in Australia over ‘terror plot’

Police hold terror suspect Image copyright NSW Police
Image caption Images provided by NSW Police show the arrest of one of the suspects on Wednesday

Australian police have arrested two men suspected of plotting to launch terror attacks on targets in Sydney.

The men were arrested at separate homes in Sydney's suburbs on Wednesday morning.

Police will allege the men planned attacks on several targets, including a naval base in Sydney Harbour.

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn said there was no evidence that an attack was imminent.

Instead, Wednesday's arrests related to documents seized in raids in December 2014 as part of an investigation dubbed Operation Appleby.

'Preparing attacks'

Today's activity was also related to five arrests made in December this year, Ms Burn said.

"There was a group of people who came together with the intention to do something and they started preparing to carry out a terrorist attack," she said.

She said the Wolloomooloo Navy base as well as the offices of Australian Federal Police and NSW Police are thought to have been targets in the plot.

The men have been named in Australian media as Abdullah Salihy, 24, and Mohammed Almouie, 20. The homes of both men's families have previously been raided as part of Operation Appleby, Australian media reported.

Operation Appleby is an ongoing police operation focusing on a group of young men who police believe were planning a terrorist attack in Australia. A total of 13 people have been arrested as part of the operation so far.

Related Topics

More on this story