Death toll from typhoon in southern China rises to 54
Flooding and landslides triggered by Typhoon Fanapi have now killed 54 people and left at least 42 missing in southern China, state media said.
Guangdong province experienced its heaviest rains in a century as the typhoon moved slowly westwards after making landfall on Monday.
More than 78,000 people in low-lying areas were evacuated and one million affected, officials said.
Meteorologists say the typhoon is the strongest to have hit China this year.
The China Meteorological Administration (CMA) has forecast more heavy or torrential rains for parts of central and western parts of Guangdong.
All of the dead were from Guangdong province, where some areas had reported rainfall of more than 640mm (25in) over the previous 24 hours, according to the state-run Xinhua news agency.
Subsequent flooding and landslides had destroyed more than 1,400 homes and inundated more than 30,000 hectares of cropland, it added.
Economic losses were estimated at about 2bn yuan ($298m).
"Heavy rain cut off traffic and communications in the three worst-hit cities of Gaozhou, Xinyi and Yangchun," said He Guoqing, deputy chief of the flood control headquarters.
Relief teams had been sent to the cities to help the thousands of people believed to be stranded there, Mr He added.
Xinhua said the dead included five people killed when a dam at the Xinyi Yinyan tin mine in Xinyi city was hit by a landslide and collapsed.
In southern Taiwan, two people died after Typhoon Fanapi caused flash floods. Tens of millions of dollars of damage was done.