Delhi bus gang rape: Victim 'still not out of danger'

Indian activists of All India Democratic Students" Organization (DSO) shout slogans during a protest in Ahmadabad, India, Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2012.
Image caption There have been widespread protests against the incident

A young woman who was gang raped in the Indian capital Delhi on Sunday remains in intensive care and is still not out of danger, doctors say.

Doctors said the 23-year-old student is conscious and alert and has displayed "an intense spirit to live".

There has been outrage in India after the woman and her male friend were attacked on a bus.

The government has announced a series of measures intended to make Delhi safer for women.

Four people, including the bus driver, have been arrested. Police say they are looking for two more people.

The woman has undergone two rounds of surgery since Sunday and remains on life support, doctors at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital said.

"She is a really brave girl... She has immense fighting spirit. Today is the fourth day since her grievous injury. She has withstood the treatment [well]," hospital chief BD Asthani told reporters on Thursday.

"I am not saying she is out of danger... but her vital signs are within acceptable range."

Doctors said that the woman is conscious and is able to communicate with gestures.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionSex harassment victim Pragati Ajman: "Men need to learn to respect women"

The government has come under tremendous pressure from opposition MPs, students and women's rights activists, with many accusing the authorities of not doing enough to stop crimes against women.

"It is a heinous crime. It is very upsetting," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Wednesday.

Angry MPs have demanded the death penalty for the rapists, and protests and candle-lit vigils have been held in the capital.

The woman and her friend boarded the bus in Munirka area and were on their way to Dwarka in south-west Delhi.

They were returning after watching a film in a shopping centre in south Delhi, police said.

More on this story