Sudan's South Kordofan hit by 'new wave of bombings'
- Published
- comments

Fighting has displaced tens of thousands of people , many of whom are sheltering in mountainous caves
Sudan's military has bombed its volatile South Kordofan region, despite a peace deal to end the conflict, the UN says.
It said heavy bombing and gunfire were heard on Monday around the region's main town, Kadugli.
South Kordofan borders South Sudan, which became independent on Saturday.
About 70,000 people fled bombings in South Kordofan last month, as Khartoum was accused of ethnic cleansing ahead of the south's independence.
The BBC's James Copnall in the capital, Khartoum, says it is very difficult to get accurate information about South Kordofan because journalists and diplomats are barred from the region, and humanitarian workers are generally restricted to Kadugli and major towns.
The conflict began in early June, when there was an attempt to disarm fighters from the Nuba ethnic group in South Kordofan.
They fought alongside the southern Sudanese during the long civil war, but now find themselves in the north.
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir said he would work with Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir to ensure they achieved more rights.
Mr Bashir said peace with South Sudan was conditional on mutual respect of borders and non-interference in each other's affairs.
Khartoum accuses the Nuba fighters of trying to destabilise South Kordofan.
The two sides agreed last month, in a deal brokered by the African Union, to integrate pro-south fighters into the national army or disarm them through dialogue.
'Expulsions'
Our reporters says the resurgence of conflict shows a ceasefire is still not in place and the war may continue for some time in South Kordofan.
The UN has no confirmed reports of casualties from the clashes, he says.
Meanwhile, an official in Khartoum's ruling party, Gudbi-Al Mahadi, has accused aid agencies of giving logistical support to the rebels, the pro-government Sudanese Media Centre (SMC) reports.
He warned the agencies that they risked "legal penalties" and expulsion, SMC said.
In 2009, Sudan expelled 10 humanitarian organisations from Darfur, accusing them of collaborating with the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The ICC has issued an arrest warrant for Mr Bashir for alleged genocide and crimes against humanity in Darfur.
There is also an arrest warrant for Ahmed Haroun, a former Darfur governor who is now South Kordofan's governor.