Qantas grounded: Your stories

Qantas has resumed its flights after an independent tribunal ordered a permanent end to the industrial dispute with its union members.

The move comes after Fair Work Australia issued a ruling based on evidence from the airline, unions and the government.

Qantas grounded all Saturday's flights, affecting some 70,000 travellers.

BBC News website readers, who were among the affected passengers, have contacted the BBC with their stories.

Jacquii Lie, Singapore - Monday 31 October

I was supposed to be on a quick holiday to Singapore from last Thursday to Sunday. I was travelling with my father. We both had to be back at work in Sydney on Monday.

Instead, we had to extend our stay at our hotel. We have had no information from Qantas apart from a text to confirm our flight had been cancelled.

The Qantas hotline was engaged constantly and you could not even get into the queue.

The next day, the Qantas hotline was still unavailable, so we headed to Changi Airport, only to find absolute chaos. The queues were out the door, there were crowds everywhere, and military security.

We joined the other airline queues to find out what flights they had available, considering Qantas' Twitter feed and website said we could get a full refund.

It was inconvenient and really quite ridiculous. It's not like a delay, it was complete airline lockdown, leaving thousands of passengers stranded and left in the cold. It truly felt like that.

Image caption Jacquii Lie took this picture of the queues at Changi Airport in Singapore

With still no emails or further texts or word from Qantas, we had to book Emirates to Brisbane and then Virgin to Sydney, with a five-hour stopover to try to make it home for work in time. Many at our hotel were doing the same.

It wasn't until the next morning that we found out the lockout had been removed. By then we had had to fork out extra for food, accommodation and last minute airfares.

Plus Qantas' solution was to reschedule us onto a 13 November flight home - which we had to find out about by going online to check our booking - with no emails or texts. What a joke.

We are now on our second night's stay at this hotel. We are flying back to Australia on Tuesday. Thankfully, it was so heavily publicised in Australia that our respective employers were quite understanding.

Adrian Digby, Auckland, New Zealand - Sunday 30 October

Image caption Adrian Digby was in Perth, Australia, when Qantas announced that flights had been cancelled

I was in Perth yesterday and was due to return to the US after working for three months for a major oil company.

I'm a non-resident alien in the US, as is my wife. We were due to travel to the UK together next week to pick up our new visas as our current US residency visas are about to expire.

I urgently need to get back into the States to pick up my wife and leave before our current visa expires. If we don't leave before that time, we may never be allowed to re-enter the US, which is now our home.

As soon as I heard the news on the BBC World Service on Saturday morning, I rushed to the airport. It was complete chaos.

Qantas had issued a letter to passengers, which wasn't of any help.

I went to every flight provider I could find to try and get replacement flights. I ended up spending $4,000 (£2,500) on my credit card just to get to Auckland.

I'm now in the airport at Auckland, where I have been for the last ten hours. My next flight, to San Francisco, leaves in 12 hours.

I don't understand how CEO Alan Joyce could take such precipitate action. He is holding the entire nation to ransom. I don't think Australia's economy can take this.

I can't see that this will be an advantage to them. There are a lot of Qantas customers who will now be stuck in different places.

This is not good for their reputation. I just don't trust Qantas now.

I travel for my job and I have to arrive on time otherwise I will lose my livelihood.

Of course people accept that sometimes things go wrong but you don't expect this to happen because of a wilful decision made by the company.

Paul Robinson, Sydney, Australia - Sunday 30 October

My partner Nathalie and I are currently stranded in Sydney due to the Qantas strike.

We came here for a wedding and spent the rest of week catching up with friends and are now due to return home and get back to our jobs.

We have had no information from Qantas - we only learned about the strike because concerned friends in the UK contacted us.

Today we are still unable to make contact with them. We tried to phone the helpline but were kept on hold for most of the night and two hours this morning.

We just haven't received any information from them.

I can appreciate that the airlines have to make these moves to stand up to unions but I don't feel they have really thought through this decision.

There will be so many people like us who are now stranded around the world - how will the airline help them?

Frank Ross, Hong Kong - Sunday 30 October

We were due to visit our daughter in Australia for two-and-a-half weeks.

On our stop-off at Hong Kong, we were told to disembark.

All Qantas staff disappeared without a trace at that point and we were left stranded in the airport.

We waited for information on the flight - at first we were told it was delayed. Eventually we were informed that it had been cancelled.

My daughter had sent us a text earlier saying she was jumping up and down in excitement at our arrival.

When I had to tell her what had happened, she was absolutely devastated. My wife was in floods of tears.

Somebody at Qantas has evidently decided that their customers don't matter. They have left countless passengers stranded all over the world.

We have no local currency and we were not given food at the hotel where we were accommodated.

I'm bitterly disappointed.

More on this story