South West Wales

New faulty wood burner fitting appeal in Pembrokeshire

wood burner

A new appeal has been made for households to check if their wood or coal burners have been fitted correctly as hundreds may be "unsafe".

Steven Poole often incorrectly fitted flue connections and failed to supply and fit carbon monoxide detectors.

Before his death, he admitted regularly breaching legal requirements.

Pembrokeshire council said more than 160 people had taken up the offer of a free carbon monoxide alarm out of more than 500 households it wrote to.

"We are still very concerned that there could be many incorrectly fitted stoves in the county, which are potentially dangerous," said Huw George, cabinet member for environmental and regulatory services.

"We also know that there are many customers of SM Poole which were not registered, and therefore we cannot write to them. We are urging them to get their stoves checked as well."

More on this story