South East Wales

'Bullied' Simon Brooks died after taking overdose - inquest

Simon and Julie Brooks Image copyright Julie Brooks
Image caption Simon Brooks was being bullied, his mother has claimed

A schoolboy whose family claim he was bullied took a fatal overdose and told his mother "I've had enough of being pushed around".

Simon Brooks, 15, of Tonyrefail, Rhondda Cynon Taf (RCT), died four days after taking tablets, having left a message alleging he was bullied.

Mrs Brooks told an inquest hearing: "He told me that he wished he had not done it and that it was stupid of him."

Valleys deputy coroner Graeme Hughes said Simon's intention was "unclear".

Simon was a pupil at Y Pant comprehensive school in Pontyclun, RCT.

The inquest in Aberdare heard on Wednesday that Simon was found shaking in his bedroom.

Mrs Brooks, 49, told the hearing he wasn't "a suicidal misery, he was a lovely boy who loved life".

She said: "He lived life dangerously and he wanted to do sky-diving and bungee jumping."

Emily Wintle, a close friend, told the inquest that earlier that day Simon was unhappy at being bullied, and there had been a row with one of his friends at school.

He had texted Emily saying: "I am going to take an overdose - bye."

When she tried to contact him again he said: "Too late" and hung up.

But later he told Emily on the phone: "Emily do you know I am a Christian - I want to go and be with God."

Pc Nicholas Hughes went to Simon's house. He told the inquest: "Simon and his best friend had fallen out over a girl."

Paramedic David Blacker, who took the schoolboy to hospital, said: "He said he had been bullied that day and they had tried to force him to fight someone.

'Cry for help'

"He wanted to die because he had enough of being bullied."

The inquest heard that Simon died from multi-organ failure at University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff brought on by an overdose of drugs.

His family's solicitor, Mari Rosser, said: "He did this on the spur of the moment as a reaction to an event and it was a cry for help."

Mr Hughes said: "The standard of proof should be that it is beyond reasonable doubt.

"I believe there is doubt as his mother gave evidence to indicate he regretted his actions which was corroborated by an entry in his hospital notes."

Mr Hughes recorded a conclusion that Simon "died from deliberate self harm in the setting of unclear intention."

After the hearing, Mrs Brooks said: "I am convinced he did not mean to kill himself and I am delighted at the verdict."

Related Topics

More on this story