South West Wales

Dewi Evans guilty of Pontyberem murder of wife Jackie

Jackie Evans
Image caption Dewi Evans loved his wife Jackie and became obsessed with her, Swansea Crown Court heard

A former miner who stabbed his wife during a row after she refused his offer of a cup of tea has been unanimously convicted of murder.

Dewi Evans, 61, killed his wife Jackie, 57, at their home in Pontyberem, Carmarthenshire, in November 2010 by stabbing her four times in the neck.

Swansea Crown Court heard he admitted manslaughter but denied murder, claiming a temporary loss of control.

Mr Justice Lloyd Jones said Evans would serve a life sentence.

But the judge said he wanted time to reflect on the case and to have psychiatrist and probation reports before setting the minimum number of years he must spend behind bars.

After the trial, Dyfed-Powys Police welcomed the verdict.

Supt Aled Davies, who led the investigation, said: "This has been a tremendously difficult time for the family and our thoughts are with them."

The Crown Prosecution Service said it was a "sensitive and difficult case to investigate" and praised the professionalism of those involved, and thanked prosecution witnesses.

During the trial the jury heard Evans told police he and his wife had "a silly argument" which developed into a row and ended with her stabbing him in the stomach. He responded by stabbing her.

Evans told police he had loved his wife and became obsessed with her. He often accused her of having affairs with other men even though he knew "it was all in my mind."

He said he had received therapy for his condition. He said: "I loved the girl."

On the day of his wife's death on 11 November he had offered her a cup of tea but she had refused.

Within 60 seconds he had stabbed her to death.

Evans denied stabbing himself in the stomach.

"I swear to God I never stabbed myself. I admit I panicked. I wish someone had come in and stabbed me," he told police.

Evans said it was true that his wife of 41 years had talked about leaving him but he denied that was the cause of the argument.

Paramedics were called only when the couple's son, Carl, found his mother's body in the living room. By then she was already dead.

More on this story