South East Wales

Ely house fire: Two taken to hospital and dog revived

Firefighter

Two people have been taken to hospital in Cardiff following a house fire caused by a faulty fridge freezer.

Two fire crews were called to the blaze at a terraced property in Mill Road, Ely, following a callout at 03:20 GMT.

A neighbour had helped one person to safety along with two dogs. One animal died and the other was revived by firefighters using oxygen.

Firefighters from Ely and Whitchurch stations used thermal image cameras to check the property for occupants.

A neighbour in another smoke-logged property also needed treatment.

Two people were taken to hospital with suspected smoke inhalation, said South Wales Fire and Rescue Service.