South East Wales

Biker Matthew Llewellyn jailed for boy's hit-and-run

Matthew Llewellyn Image copyright South Wales Police
Image caption Llewellyn had been on the run from police for 14 months at the time of the crash

A motorcyclist who left a 10-year-old boy with brain injuries after a hit-and-run has been jailed for 15 months.

Matthew Llewellyn, 27, of Gilfach Goch, Rhondda Cynon Taff, previously admitted failing to stop at an accident and other offences.

Tye Hawkins was left with life-changing injuries after the crash in Mountain Ash, in September 2015.

Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court heard Llewellyn went on to dump the bike and said he was in Scotland at the time.

The court heard Tye was crossing the road with his mother from behind a school bus when he was hit by Llewellyn's 600cc Suzuki motorcycle.

Llewellyn failed to stop and drove 11 miles (18km) away before ditching the bike and hiring a car to get away.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionSgt Gethin Hewer, of South Wales Police's serious collision investigation unit, says Tye Hawkins faces "significant challenges"

When he was eventually traced two weeks later, he denied any involvement and claimed to have been in Scotland at the time.

The court heard another man was arrested as part of the investigation as a result of the false information he gave police.

He eventually admitted owning the motorcycle but claimed he had sold it, before later admitting his part in the crash.

The court heard Tye suffered a blunt head injury which caused bruising to his brain, along with other fractures and lacerations.

He spent 17 days in intensive care and is preparing to spend three months at a specialist brain injury recovery centre in Surrey, which it is hoped will help him regain movement.

In a victim impact statement, his mother Clair told the court the months since the crash had been "the worst of my life".

Image copyright Handout
Image caption Tye Hawkins was seriously hurt in the collision

"Seeing him struck has haunted me. I have seen changes in Tye, he finds it difficult to concentrate, he hallucinates and needs help to dress," the statement added.

The court was told Llewellyn had written to Tye's family to express his remorse and admitted leaving the scene was "totally reprehensible".

Sentencing Llewellyn, Judge Daniel Williams, said he had showed "no concern for this young lad and every concern for your self preservation".

Llewellyn was sentenced for attempting to pervert the course of justice, driving without insurance and failing to surrender in relation to the crash.

He was also banned from driving for 12 months.

More on this story