South East Wales

Stacey Henderson had 'started divorce' before death stabbing

A woman found stabbed to death at her home in Monmouthshire had started divorce proceedings the day before, an inquest has heard.

Stacey Henderson, 35, was found with stab wounds to her chest and heart alongside her husband Nigel at their Chepstow home on 19 June.

Mr Henderson, 52, was also found with stab wounds to his torso and heart, which were self-inflicted.

Gwent coroner David Bowen said Mrs Henderson died unlawfully.

He recorded a verdict of suicide for Mr Henderson.

The inquest in Newport heard the couple's bodies were found in the living room and there were suitcases in the kitchen.

"Insane sense of jealousy"

A knife was loosely held in Mr Henderson's hand and a torn-up letter was found in his pocket in which he accepted their three-year marriage was over.

He was described as being "obsessed" with money and had an "insane sense of jealousy" about his wife. He had also previously attempted suicide.

Mrs Henderson' mother, Marilyn Davies, said in a written statement she knew her daughter's marriage was violent and there were "numerous" occasions incidents happened.

She said six weeks before the deaths, her daughter became "quite friendly" with one of the regulars at the pub she worked in and wanted to be with that man.

The inquest heard the day before Mrs Henderson's death, her mother asked her not to tell Mr Henderson about splitting up until divorce papers had been served.

"I knew he wouldn't take it well," she said.

Mr Henderson's brother Stephen said there had been a suicide attempt in 2010 and two more in the space of four days in May this year.

"He was very troubled and devastated that his marriage was over, and realised he could not make it right," he said in a written statement.

Det Con Claire Offers said the trouble had been worsening in the weeks leading up to the deaths.

Delivering his conclusion, Mr Bowen said: "I'm satisfied their marriage had been a turbulent and often violent one."

A statement from Mrs Henderson's family after the inquest said: "She will never be forgotten, she will always be dearly loved and greatly missed."

Related Topics

More on this story