South East Wales

Grief stricken mother of Nadine Aburas appeals to suspect

Nadine Aburas and Sammy Almahri Image copyright South Wales Police
Image caption Nadine Aburas and Sammy Almahri had known each other for three years

The mother of a woman found dead in a hotel said her heart has been "torn in two" and appealed to the suspect to contact police.

Andrea Aburas told a press conference her "beautiful" daughter, Nadine, would never hurt anyone.

Her body was discovered at the Future Inn in Cardiff Bay on 30 December.

She had been there with Sammy Almahri, 44, from New York, and South Wales Police launched an international manhunt to find him.

Ms Aburas said on Monday: "Nadine was my baby, she was such a beautiful and kind hearted girl. She would never hurt anyone, she just wanted to help people.

"She was a born healer for people... always putting others first. The loss of Nadine has torn my heart in two.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionAndrea Aburas told a press conference her 'beautiful' daughter who would never hurt anyone

"Her family and friends are absolutely heartbroken by what has happened to her."

Ms Aburas made a direct appeal to Mr Almahri: "I am asking you, as Nadine's mother, please hand yourself into the authorities and please help us find the answers that we need so we can let Nadine rest in peace.

"You told us that you loved Nadine, if that is true, please let the police help you.

"I want the world to know that my Nadine was beautiful inside and out. She will remain our beautiful Nadine forever."

Det Supt Paul Hurley also appealed for Mr Almahri to contact police.

"Sammy, please surrender yourself to the authorities."

Image copyright Wales News Service

South Wales Police is working with counterparts in New York and Tanzania to trace Mr Almahri and Interpol has issued a wanted notice.

Detectives said the pair had known each other for three years and had met up previously in New York city.

On 30 December they checked into the Future Inn within 30 minutes of each other and left shortly before 22:00 GMT but returned at 23:00.

Five hours later, Mr Almahri left the hotel and is believed to have booked and boarded a flight at 10:00 GMT from Heathrow to Doha, Qatar, before flying on to Tanzania.

Ms Aburas, who briefly studied at Cardiff University but left after a few weeks, was found in a hotel room at midday on New Year's Eve.

More on this story