South East Wales

Beeches Residential Park, Magor, evacuated after caravan fire

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionOne resident described the explosions as scary

Residents of a Magor caravan park spent the night in hotels after the site was evacuated following a fire.

Firefighters were called to Beeches Residential Park in Grangewood at 16:13 GMT on Sunday.

One caravan and a shed were on fire and residents said they had to take cover as the blaze caused a series of explosions.

Sixteen people were evacuated and no one was injured. The cause of the fire is thought to be accidental.

The fire was brought under control by 20:30 GMT.

Roland Hurdle, who lives at the site, said: "It was scary when the explosions happened because they were quite high."

Another resident Robert Best added: "From about four o'clock onwards there was a general fear because there was some significant explosions and some bangs, and it's enough to put the wind up anybody."

Image caption Charred gas cylinders were among the debris left after the fire
Image caption A typewriter and music records were also found in the wreckage

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites